How you have used an iPod or an iPad with your students?

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Proloquo2Go

http://www.proloquo2go.com/
This relatively new iPod/iPhone/iPad "app" can give a student with augmentative communication needs, a voice!  For $189 a user can turn their iDevice into a talking communicator.  This introductory video can give you an idea of how the device works, although the interface has been revised slightly - http://www.proloquo2go.com/resources/article/introductory-videos.  The student can have the option of using a keyboard or icons/symbols.  Personal pictures can also be incorporated into a new item or category. I am looking forward to learning more about this device and helping one of my new students learn how to use it. I am wondering if anyone else has had any experiences with Proloquo2Go. Carolyn

2 comments:

David said...

Carolyn

First let me apologize for not viewing and commenting on you blog before now. I was not clear on the class requirements. I am still catching up on several things for this class.
I have just reviewed your blog and all the earlier posts and I think that it is great that your site coincides with what you do. I took a different route with my blog subject. I did not get a chance to participate in your survey question about Ipod use. However, this is not a tool used at my school. I never thought of the many options for using the Ipod in the classroom. Right now my wife and kids all have Ipods. I will have to explore the functions and become more familiar with what they can do other than music.
During my last Lesley class we were required to write proposals for schools. After speaking with my sister-in-law, who is a paraprofessional working with special needs students, I created a proposal to develop a program to assist Hearing Impaired students. It seems that the Ipod could be employed to meet some needs for these type students. I hope you don’t mind if I share your blog with others who work in this area.
I also like the fact that you blog is interactive with lots of links to related sites. As I review some your links, this has made me wonder what kinds of things I can do to add to my site.

David

CarolynOTRATP said...

David, No problem. I am still so new to this iPod/iPad technology too! I am hoping to attend a conference in a couple of weeks, so whatever info I get from that I will be sharing. I, of course, have no problem with you sharing this blog with others that might find it helpful.
I am truly enjoying your blog and can hardly wait for the next post!